EP #425: Can Brokers Change Healthcare? — With Elaine Horton
October 10, 2022
The focus of this week's episode is on brokers' contributions to the transformation of the entire healthcare system. Elaine Horton, a partner at EBC Austin, Texas, discusses the system's flaws and how they are being addressed, beginning with eliminating expenses and defining the function of brokers in the system.
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- 1:27 Elaine's journey: The healthcare obstacles that brought her to her current position.
- 3:20 Significant issues with the healthcare system and actions being taken to address them.
- 6:33 Eliminating costs from the system, starting with the little bits of the pie.
- 8:19 Rebate Check: Using a flexible and transparent PBM as a starting point to reduce the cost of incredibly expensive medications.
- 15:09 Why benefit plan architects should not be paid on a commission basis.
- 15:48 Which is a better way to pay advisors—fixed fees or a percentage of savings?
- 18:06 The direction the industry is headed in given the changes over the last two years.
- 20:06 Ways to improve the appalling level of healthcare literacy among employees.
Enjoy The Show?